How do you actively engage students with content and coursework?
Students are required to participate in discussion board assignments. My students are required to present all papers using APA format. In the Health Assessment Course students are required to research their states ‘Nurse Practice Act share and discuss the Recovery Nurse Program in their practicing state. Students are also asked to complete a reflection assignment using the Neuman’s Systems Model identifying those areas that they perceive as stressors in the success or failure in taking an online class.
What can new students expect from you in your class?
New students can expect clear and concise feedback. Very often, students who are new to the online environment experience anxiety with the use of the computer, management of time and communication with the instructor. Having taught this course for the past 2.5 years I reach out to these students early in the course and offer additional assistance to aid in their success in the program.
How do you incorporate the values of OLOL College into your teaching?
As an instructor I strive to meet the individual needs of each student. (Service)
One full week is dedicated to cultural competence. This module provides a forum for students to assess their individual biases – if any - regarding diverse populations. Students often report enjoying this module because it provides them with effective tools to assess their patients. (Reverence and love for all life).
Students are invited to take part in a welcome discussion. During this exercise, they reflect on the many reasons they are pursuing their degree. Many times they are thankful that the online instruction is an option. (Joyfulness of Spirit)
As an educator I appreciate that learning is an exchange and a sharing of knowledge. I too learn as much from my students as they do from me. (Humility)
Students are asked to complete a module addressing Intimate Partner Violence. (Justice)
How do you inspire and support online students?
I pride myself in coaching my students in this course. I have noticed that my baby boomers are the ones who need additional encouragement with the use of technology. I engage with them very early in the course and assess their strengths and weaknesses. We discuss the resources available and assist them with accessing those resources.
- PhD, Nursing (Hampton University 2012)
- Masters in Health Care Systems (Loyola University New Orleans, 2006)
- BSN (University Phoenix, 2002)
- ASN (Bishop State College, 1999)
- Associate Degree: General Studies Concentration Biology (Delgado Community College 1996)
- Clinical Nurse Instructor (2016- present) (Southeast Louisiana Veterans Affairs Healthcare System)
- Mental Health Nurse 2014 -2016
- School Nurse Administrator 2010 -2014
- Weekend Supervisor Bayside Rehab (2010- 2012)
- Faculty OLOL Accelerated Nursing Program (2008-2010)
- Adjunct Faculty (2007-2008)
- Skills Lab Coordinator (2007)
- Intern OLOL College (2006)
- Mental Health Nurse (VA Hospital 2005)
- Surgical Intensive Care Nurse (VA Hospital 2003-2005)
- Medical Surgical Nursing (VA Hospital 2001-2003)
- Children’s Hospital (1999-2001)
- Fran U (2007- 2010)
- Fran U (2014 – present)
Courses Taught at Fran U:
- Health Assessment
- Adult Health I
- Adult Health II
- Online Health Assessment
- Fluid and electrolytes
- CHF, etc.
- Green-Laughlin, D. (2017). An example of the neuman systems model in online teaching of RN-BS students in Neuman Systems Model Celebrating Academic Partnerships. Beckman, S. and Fawcett, J. Beckman.